Michael Van Vliet, M.D., FACS
- M.D., ALBANY MEDICAL COLLEGE, ALBANY, NY, 2002-2006
- B.A., SIENA COLLEGE, LOUDONVILLE, NY, 1998-2002
- PLASTIC SURGERY – CHIEF RESIDENT, DARTMOUTH HITCHCOCK MEDICAL CENTER, LEBANON, NH, 2011-2012
- PLASTIC SURGERY, DARTMOUTH HITCHCOCK MEDICAL CENTER, LEBANON, NH, 2009-2011
- GENERAL SURGERY, DARTMOUTH HITCHCOCK MEDICAL CENTER, LEBANON, NH, 2007-2009
- BURN SURGERY AND CRITICAL CARE, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, KECK SCHOOL OF MEDICINE & LOS ANGELES COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER, LOS ANGELES, CA, 2012-2013
- AMERICAN BOARD OF SURGERY – SURGICAL CRITICAL CARE
- AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY
- CERTIFICATE OF ADDED QUALIFICATION IN HYPERBARIC MEDICINE
- ACUTE BURN CARE
- BREAST RECONSTRUCTION/REDUCTION SURGERY
- BURN RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY
- CRITICAL CARE
- WOUND CARE
- COMPLEX RECONSTRUCTIVE FLAP SURGERY
- PRESSURE ULCER MANAGEMENT
- SCAR MODULATION/LASER THERAPY
- MIGRAINE SURGERY
Michael Van Vliet, M.D., FACS, was born in New York, raised in northern New Jersey, and was accepted into medical school straight out of high school as part of a highly-competitive combined bachelor/M.D. program. Having completed undergraduate and medical doctorate programs with a unique emphasis on humanities and the underserved, Dr. Van Vliet spent a considerable portion of his training in developing nations. Dr. Van Vliet was called to the burn and reconstructive field during his residency at Los Angeles County Burn Center.
“On the first day, I observed the Medical Director, Dr. Warren Garner, managing critically ill patients. He would sneak off to the OR to release a burn contracture and apply basic plastic surgery principles to reconstruct the defect,” Dr. Van Vliet said. “I knew at that moment exactly what I wanted to do. I found an avenue to manage critically ill patients, to experience the joy of seeing them through, and performing plastic surgery.”
As the medical director for Burn and Reconstructive Centers of America at Blake Medical Center, his compassionate care begins with the most critically ill burn patients, as he manages their every need from the acute stage of their illnesses through reconstruction and beyond. He also treats patients with hand injuries, complex wounds, traumatic defects, congenital deformities and cancer. His training also provided the skill to manage all aesthetic concerns, including surgery of the body and breast.
Outside of work, Dr. Van Vliet spends time with his wife, Kelly, and their two children. The Van Vliet family fully embraces the Florida lifestyle, enjoying the beach, local restaurants, parks and playgrounds, and their favorite, Disney World.